Step by step guide to provide your Django app with Email capabilities.
Typically used for account activation and notifications.
This guide uses one of the most popular solutions, SendGrid, which provides a considerably free amount of emails for free each month (100 per month at the time of writing this article).
Using Sendgrid with Django
Email service can be added to Django following two strategies:
- Using SendGrid’s Web API or
- Using SMTP as the transport mechanism
In this tutorial we are going to use the first method, with a Web API. 1
To use the Web API we will rely on the the django-sendgrid-v5 package,
This package implements an email backend for Django that relies on *SendGrid*'s REST API for message delivery.
Log in to Sendgrid at https://app.sendgrid.com/login
1. Get API keys
And Create an API key for the app at https://app.sendgrid.com/settings/api_keys
We will create an API key just for sending emails, so in Name
Then choose Restricted Access, enable Mail Send and hit the Create button.
A new API Key will be generated, copy and set the
2. Use package
Using pip we install django-sendgrid-v5: pip install django-sendgrid-v5
And then tell Django to use it.
3. Configure Keys in Django
import os EMAIL_BACKEND = "sendgrid_backend.SendgridBackend" SENDGRID_API_KEY = os.environ.get("SENDGRID_API_KEY")
There are also optional settings to deliver emails in debug mode or to send them to standard output:
# Toggle sandbox mode (when running in DEBUG mode) SENDGRID_SANDBOX_MODE_IN_DEBUG=True # echo to stdout or any other file-like object that is passed to the backend via the stream kwarg. SENDGRID_ECHO_TO_STDOUT=True
Testing it works
To test that everything works fine we will send an email.
Out of sandbox
First turn off SendGrid’s sandbox mode
so we can send and receive an email from console.
Send an email
Then test sending the email with
from django.core.mail import send_mail send_mail( 'Subject here', 'Here is the message.', 'firstname.lastname@example.org', ['email@example.com'], fail_silently=False, )
Putting it all together:
$ python3 manage.py shell >>> from django.core.mail import send_mail >>> send_mail('testing', 'my message', 'firstname.lastname@example.org', ['email@example.com'], fail_silently=False) .virtualenvs/xxx/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sendgrid_backend/mail.py:53: UserWarning: Sendgrid email backend is in sandbox mode! Emails will not be delivered. warnings.warn("Sendgrid email backend is in sandbox mode! Emails will not be delivered.") 1 >>> from django.conf import settings >>> settings.SENDGRID_SANDBOX_MODE_IN_DEBUG=False >>> send_mail('testing', 'my message', 'firstname.lastname@example.org', ['email@example.com'], fail_silently=False) 1
And you should get an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can also make some improvements, like Domain Authentication at https://app.sendgrid.com/settings/sender_auth to improve deliverability by proving to inbox providers that you own the domain you’re sending from.
Send emails from own domain
Also, instead of sending emails from accounts like …@sendgrid.net, it would be better to have them with our domain …@mydomain.com. In SendGrid this is called Link Branding and can be configured at: https://app.sendgrid.com/settings/sender_auth/link/create
- Django Overview
- Django Configuration and environment isolation
- Disable new users singup when using Django's allauth package
- How to add ads.txt to Django as requested by Google Adsense
- Have multiple submit buttons for the same Django form
- Better Testing with Page Object Design in Django
- Generating slugs automatically in Django without packages - Two easy and solid approaches
- How to set up Django tests to use a free PostgreSQL database in Heroku
- Dynamically adding forms to a Django FormSet with an add button using jQuery
- Use of Django's static templatetag in css file to set a background image
- Activate Django's manage.py commands completion in Bash in 2 steps
- Sending Emails with Django using SendGrid in 3 easy steps
- Adding Users to Your Django Project With A Custom User Model
- Setting Up A Factory For One To Many Relationships In Factoryboy
- Generate UML class diagrams from django models
- Set Up Ubuntu To Serve A Django Website Step By Step
- Django Project Directory Structure
- Adding a Cancel button in Django class-based views, editing views and forms
- Using Django Model Primary Key in Custom Forms THE RIGHT WAY
- Django formset handling with class based views, custom errors and validation
- How To Use Bootstrap 4 In Django Forms
- Understanding Django Forms
- How To Create A Form In Django